Saturday, November 1, 2008

8 things about Amah, My First Rottweiler



My name is Amah, and I am a Rottweiler. First a little history of the Rottweiler:

The origin of the Rottweiler is not a documented record. Actual history and reasonable supposition indicate that the Rottweiler is descended from one of the drover dogs indigenous to ancient Rome. This drover dog has been described by various accredited sources to have been of the Mastiff type, with great intelligence, rugged, dependable, willing to work and with a strong guarding instinct.

Reference: http://www.donnerbergrottweilers.com/hisory-and-origin-of-the-rottweiler.html


  1. I have papers and come from championship bloodlines, but I’m really not one to brag…. Well I was adopted by this nice lady you call Rottlady. I was a scrawny runt only 8 weeks old, I was scared of almost everything. She brought me to a place that had other dogs around, a small long thing they named Brandy (dachshund) and this big shaggy thing called Jake (collie-shepherd mix) he was really handsome and I got a crush on him right away! They were both nice and welcomed me to the neighborhood.
    They also had a black cat named Miss Kitty, she didn’t like me much at first….





  2. My name comes from a word that means a nurse or servant in Asia. I tried to live up to my moniker my whole life. My mom says I did a really good job of that!


  3. I grew really fast and loved my home. We had a great backyard to play in that even had a pond to jump in! I got to go everywhere with my mom and meet lots of people and other dogs. We even went to parades! I dressed up in green for St. Patty Day, and wore a red hat for the Christmas Parade! I loved seeing all the kids and they loved me too!





  4. When I got to be old enough, my mom introduced me to my first boyfriend and we really got along well. So well we had a litter of puppies 2 months later! I had 10 puppies, but unfortunately 2 died the first day, that was sad, but I had a whole lot to do which helped take my mind off the loss. I can tell you these puppies grew fast, sometimes more than a pound a day! I was wore out fast, but my mom helped and we taught them to eat solid food in only 3 weeks, boy was I relieved…. I don’t want to brag, but these puppies where just the bees knees! They were even self trained to go to the other side of the whelping box to do their thing in just a week! I kid you not, they would crawl away to do their thing away from where they were sleeping….Of course, I had to clean them up a little, but I didn’t mind.





  5. The kids grew really fast and it wasn’t long before they went to new homes. I was so glad my mom decided to keep two of my best girls, Aurora, my first born, and Delilah, my forth born. They were the apple of my eye and grew up to be much prettier than I, it must have been because their father was so good looking!






  6. I had a second litter a little over a year later, but it was not such a happy event as I had trouble and lost all but 3 of my puppies. One died before it was born, and caused my milk to be bad. My mom had to keep the puppies from nursing on me so she fed those puppies artificial milk through a tube every 3 hours for the first 2 weeks! I was really sad, but I helped all I could. I did the cleaning and kept them warm as soon as I could. Thankfully they grew fast and were on puppy cereal soon so mom could sleep. They were such sweet puppies, but a little spoiled because of all the special treatment they got! My daughter Aurora was a really good wet nurse for them and taught them everything she knew about being a good dog. It was good training for her. Delilah was just a little too high strung but she loved her little step-siblings all the same.

    Here is a description of how to tube feed a puppy and also a video:
    http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1651&articleid=928
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIKWr7yRU2g

  7. I think my favorite and proudest time was when my daughter Aurora had her litter of puppies, you know it’s always easier to care for the grandkids. She was a great mother and had 6 of the cutest little things I’ve ever seen! She even allowed me to care for them when she got tired or just wanted to go out for a while. I was always happy to lay around in the whelping box and kiss those cute little babies.




  8. I lived a long and happy 9 years with my family near me, unfortunately I got sick and had to ask my mom to do something that made her really sad, but I loved her for making the difficult decision.

blog comments powered by Disqus