Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Is it Chicken, No it's Pork Stew!

Today I planned on cooking some chicken soup so yesterday I pulled the frozen chicken out of the freezer and set in the refrigerator to thaw. Not looking at it much I also prepped some celery and onions to add. Well the jokes on me! I actually thawed out some Stew Pork! Well, you know they both are light in color....I don't even remember buying this pork!

So when I started today to cook and discovered I had the wrong meat I had to go looking for a different recipe. This is what I found and it looks yummy. My pot is on the stove, I don't have a slow cooker, but that's ok. I can smell this cooking and I think for chicken/pork stew it's going to be great!

By the way, I doubled the recipe so I can have lots of leftovers.



Ingredients:



  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 to 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 rib celery sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves crushed
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 package (16-ounce) frozen mixed stew vegetables
  • 1 jar (4-oz size) sliced mushrooms drained well
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/8 teaspoons ground nutmeg
  • salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork, onion, celery, basil, rosemary and oregano; cook until pork is browned. Place pork mixture in slow cooker. Whisk flour with chicken broth; pour into slow cooker/Crock Pot. Stir in frozen vegetables and mushrooms. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours. About 15 minutes before serving, stir lemon juice, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice.
Serves 4.



This is where I got the recipe: Pork Stew with Vegetables
blog comments powered by Disqus